You can also view my gallery at Designs en Bois.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Me versus Frank Klausz at Woodworking in America

Last weekend, I attended the Woodworking in America conference in Cincinnati, OH. The event included a marketplace, where toolmakers from all over were hawking their wares, a series of fantastic classes on tools, techniques, and design, as well as some great conversation and reunions. One of my favorite parts of the show is the hand tool olympics where folks can get timed and evaluated on various hand tool techniques. My friend Kip goaded me into trying the cross-cut saw competition, where you are required to cross-cut a 12" wide 4/4 piece of pine along a line. Competitors are evaluated both on the speed and accuracy of the cut. I emphasized speed a bit too much, and accuracy not nearly enough. So I was already feeling a bit inferior, when Frank Klausz came up right behind me to try his hand at the event. I felt like Kenny G opening for George Clinton (bet Frank has never gotten that comparison before). I still marvel at Frank's technique to start the cut, and then the absolute whirlwind of steel and sawdust that followed.  Below the video you will find a list of other links to content from the conference for your enjoyment.





Tom’s Workbench
http://tomsworkbench.com/2010/10/04/a-love-story/

Woodcanuck’s Blog:
http://woodcanuck.wordpress.com/2010/10/01/wia-2010-day-1/
http://woodcanuck.wordpress.com/2010/10/04/wia-2010/
http://woodcanuck.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/woodworkers-guide-to-woodworking-in-america/

The Village Carpenter
http://villagecarpenter.blogspot.com/2010/10/whats-new.html

4 comments:

Shannon said...

This is the aspect of the olympics I love the most: the humbling doled out by the pros. I top a quick clip of Mike Siemsen last year ripping that was astonishing! It's always great to see these guys put aside the talk and put tool to wood.

Sean Wisniewski said...

That's cool to see. I didn't do that well, by far. I think I'll review the tape on this one to see if I can pick up any techniques that will improve my speed and accuracy.

Rob Bois said...

In my defense, Frank only beat me by about a second and 2 playing cards (they use a combination of time and number of playing cards that fit in your biggest gap to calculate your score). And I had never even crosscut a board by hand before. So I'm thinking if I study that video for a full year, I might have a fighting chance. I'm going to start my new training program this weekend.

Michael Marzullo said...

a whole second? what a newb...