You can also view my gallery at Designs en Bois.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Tan, rested, and ready

Well the wine secretary is just about done. Unfortunately the finish ended up being so thick, that I had to plane down my front cabinet doors a bit to get a nice fit. Something I should have accounted for, but alas did not. So I'm in the process of applying the 9 step finish to those freshly planed edges (which is frankly more waiting between coats than real work). Once that is done, I will put the doors on an post some pics.

Now I'm ready to start thinking about my next project. I've been building some small boxes using leftover stock in my shop party as gifts, and partly just to get rid of some scrap. But I'm about ready to get back to a real project. With the weather cooling off, and Fall just around the corner I'm ready to start logging some good shop time.

The front runner of the ideas right now is a Shaker hanging wall clock. I'm heading to the Brimfield Antique Fair in Brimfield, MA next weekend, and hope to scout out a few of these clocks ahead of time to get some ideas for the design, finish, and size. Who knows, if I can find one reasonably priced maybe I'll even but one so I can study it, and compare along side the actual construction (a la New Yankee Workshop). So stay tuned for some video of the antique fair. It's one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) in the country, so it might be like looking for a needle in a hay stack, but I'm ready for the challenge.

No comments: