You can also view my gallery at Designs en Bois.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Episode two, honoring safety week

I got an email from Marc of www.thewoodwhisperer.com fame earlier this week reminding fellow bloggers to mention safety week. As I was putting together this week's video blog post, I realized I had coincidentally discussed a specific technique I often use for ripping rough stock. The table saw can be a particularly dangerous tool for performing this operation.  Overall this episode discusses the milling of the stock, and the special considerations for longer wider boards this piece requires.  After this episode we get to jump into the meat of the joinery, where things get really interesting.  I'm going to try to upload two episodes this week to get caught up to real time (but I can't make any promises).  Enjoy, and as always I welcome your comments.


9 comments:

rjs92 said...

Another awesome video, really looking forward to the next one and eventually the finished product. Although, looks like this ones not gonna be an quick build...

Rob Bois said...

Definitely not a short build. I already have six episodes worth of footage in the can, as well as another "bonus" episode if I find time to edit. And I'm only about half way done with the project at this point!

Guy Bucey said...

well Rob looking for to them, would def. enjoy two videos a week!
Do you always try to match your grain before you mill it or would it be easier to see once it is milled.

Guy

Rob Bois said...

Guy, I usually try to select where I will source each of my components from before I start milling. In this particular project, I'm really running lean due to the budget I'm working on, so I didn't have the luxury to do that will some of the smaller components like the drawer dividers and aprons/rails. For this project, I selected my pieces for the top first and worked everything else around that.

Manish said...

Great Rob, really very effective video tutorial to allow us to know more about safety and protetion.

Unknown said...

Greate movie! Was wondering how did you cut the legs out of the board? Did you use the bandsaw for that?

Ralph

Rob Bois said...

Ralph, I did indeed use the bandsaw, with the table set at the angle of the leg in the rough stock. I have done this operation a few times, but never recorded it. Especially with heavy or longer stock the process can be a bit unwieldy since you essentially have to hold the stock "uphill" against the fence. I'll try to make a point of recording the procedure one of these days (it's just one of those things that takes a lot of effort and concentration, so I'm usually not thinking about setting up the camera at that point).

Walt's Wood's said...

Great videos I just saw this one but I'm going to go back and catch up. I appreciate the time you take for the videos I've just recently started taking pics of my project for a blog and LJ's and it adds quite a bit of work to the project.

Thanks Walt

Morton said...

Rob -- thanks for the tip on the cardboard cutout for finding the right angle for grain for legs. I recently used a bit of wood with lines drawn diagonally to represent the grain I'm looking for. I like the see-through cardboard method too and might try that next time.