You can also view my gallery at Designs en Bois.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Accesorizing the accessories

I followed up the note pad holder with a simple box-jointed pen and pencil holder. I realized half way through that I had an odd number of joints, but was able to recover fairly easily. The challenge with box joints is that the more you cut, the more likely you are to have tighter joints. That couldn't be more true in my case. Today is actually the first day of the Boston Wood Expo, so I'm looking forward to meeting up with some very talented woodworkers and seeing some fantastic work. I'll be sure to take some video footage and post over the next few days. With any luck I'll even get some interesting interviews out of the show.




5 comments:

Dyami Plotke said...

Nice pen & pencil holder, Rob.

Have fun at the Wood Expo and please be sure to say hi to Mike for me. Sorry I have to miss it.

Mark Rhodes said...

Looks great, I like the finger/box joints. and there is nothing wrong with glue and nails for the right job Rob.

Rob Bois said...

Mark, I totally agree with you. I'm not about to start pin nailing drawer fronts to sides, but I think three is nothing wrong with using the fastest, most efficient tool for the job as long as it doesn't negatively impact the quality. In this case, nobody is ever going to see those pin nails but you guys.

Brock said...

Rob, I am wondering why you cut off the extra pin from the original box? Wouldn't just rabbiting in a small insert have been easier?

Love the little projects with scraps!

Rob Bois said...

Brock, there are any number of solutions to the problem of the extra row of pins (including the easiest option - just leaving it as is). But Lopping off that row over on the chop saw was about as fast an simple a solution as I could think of. I was also running out of time on these accessories, so I honestly didn't spend a great deal of time thinking through the process on these. The intent was really to design, build (and fix) these on the fly - and why not, this scrap was in the burn pile anyway!