You can also view my gallery at Designs en Bois.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Doing my best Norm impersonation....

This episode is all about mechanical fasteners. That's right, pocket screws and double barrel nail guns. I almost wore a flannel shirt and tool belt for this one, but even I have limits to how far I'll go for a laugh. But in all truth, if you are building anything paint grade, screws and brads can go a long way to making some pretty quick work of some rock solid casework. If you believe Chris Schwarz of Popular Woodworking, all glue joints eventually fail. Screws, on the other hand, represent the ultimate in mechanical joinery and should have a place in your shop for projects where traditional joinery is overkill. So what do you think - should I start working on a pocket screw version of a Queen Anne low boy next?



2 comments:

Jeff Branch said...

When I saw your post title, I first thought I'd see you in a flannel shirt. :)

I like screws in paint grade projects because they have the ability to pull two pieces of wood together and keep the joint tight.

Looking good.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob,

I really like your podcast/shows. I am just gettin started and I am planning on making cabinets for our kitchen. I liked seeing how you used screws and laid things out. I need to do that with my next box. Keep them coming I watch everything you do. Thanks John Middleton