You can put a fork in this one, it’s done. I made several mentions along the way that this stepped front chest project turned out to be quite a bit more complicated than I had envisioned. I never expected this to actually create fifteen episodes worth of footage, but I don’t think I’d be nearly interested in woodworking if it were completely predictable. In this case, my real saving grace was my choice of materials. I actually chose butternut initially because I got a good deal on some 8/4 shorts that were perfectly sized for this project. But the added benefit of butternut is its workability. I was really reminder of this when I had to cut dovetails in the maple sides and each cut took about twice as long as it’s mating cut in the butternut.
I have another really unique project underway, and will start publishing episodes right after the holidays. I’m thinking after that I might actually tackle my first chair-building project. Things are already shaping up to be a fun 2012. Happy holidays, and as always thanks for following the blog.
Right click to download the HD version of this video