This episode is all about creating and fitting the inlay. Since I decided to deviate from the PWW design and do the inlay in the top, the inlay is even more noticeably, so fine tuning is critical here. The great side-benefit to this is that I glued up enough material for probably 3 or 4 boxes worth of inlay. I suspect a few people might be getting inlaid boxes this holiday season!
I also ran into a little speed bump in this project, since the walnut I chose for the box top had some challenges with tear out due to some figure. Fortunately, my eBay habit paid off, as I had a decent Stanley #4 waiting to be brought back to life as a high angle smoother, which really saved the day in this episode.