Three pictures of the bench before applying any kind of finish are attached. I think it turned out pretty good. Better than I expected!
I decided not to build the drawers (trays) per the plans; at least not until I've used the bench for a few projects. At this point, the space between the two glue ups is filled with 2 plywood boards with sides so they can be turned over to create a solid top. I'll use it this way for a while to see if I want to make any changes. For the same reason, I haven't finished drilling all the dog holes. I wanted to use the bench for a few projects before drilling too many, perhaps unnecessary, holes.
The bench is 30" wide by 89" long by 34" tall and it's very, very solid. (Note: the pipe clamps on the lower stretchers are just being stored there! They're not holding it together!)
The joinery was done with a combination of power and hand tools.
I used a dado set for the half laps and a contractor's saw to rips the boards to width and an old, circa 1950, 6" Rockwell joiner to square the edges and faces of the top. What a pain! Most of the cross cuts were done on my 12" sliding miter saw. After hollowing out most of the mortises on the drill press, I finished with chisels and files. I cut the tenons and dovetails by hand using a japanese saw.
For what it's worth, I think it took me about 12 days to build. It's made of solid ash from 8/4 stock which cost $2.70 bd ft locally (Asheville, NC). I think the total cost of the wood and supplies was about $700 (including $250 for the twin screw vise). The lamination of the two tops was probably the hardest part because I struggle with milling stock perfectly square; even with a power jointer and because they're heavy. It was difficult to maneuver them into the thickness planer and miter saw.
The joinery wasn't too difficult. I was surprised. Drilling the holes for the twin screw vise was a pain because I've got a small, table top Delta drill press with too little power and too little travel. Just drilling the darn 1 1/2" holes for the twin screws probably took 1 1/2 hours.
All kidding aside, your video blog posting is what inspired me to try this so Thank You.