You can also view my gallery at Designs en Bois.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Slab happy

I met with a local sawyer over the summer, and while I was at his shop, he uncovered his special stash of walnut slabs. He had almost a complete flitch of 8/4 walnut slabs, and I couldn't leave for home without at least one board. I had no idea what I was going to use it for, but it was priced right and I happily made room in my shop to store it until I had a use for it.

Well, I finally decided it was time to turn it into furniture. I had a rough idea in my mind that it would become a hall table, but I decided to use the shape and size of the slab itself to dictate the design, rather than the other way around. So this project is going to be designed as I go, and I already have a few fun ideas of some twists I can incorporate into the piece.

This first episode is all about stock prep. And with a slab almost 22" wide, my power planer and jointer are of no use. So I'll be rolling up my sleeves and doing a lot of hand tool work to start. Which is perfect because it just started getting cold in my shop!


Right click to download the HD version of this video

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Wanna borrow my travisher or scorp for that inside corner? Both fun to use and say!

Rob Bois said...

I'm going to try to work "scorp" and "travisher" into a casual work conversation some time this week. Could be a fun challenge.

Unknown said...

beautiful piece of walnut ,almost made me cry watching you remove that bark. do you know how rare it it is to get sound bark like that?
I remove bark from time to time but do it keeping bark in-tack so I can replace missing bark on other projects.

look forward to seeing end project!
Cheers
Dan n

John Fitz said...

That is a fantastic looking slab. I can't wait to see how it comes out.

Handi said...

My Man Rob,

Lookin good on the Live Table Bro. I've been outta swing with things for a little while. It appears you've moved your Blog to here. I'm catching up on your Podcast on iTunes.

Can't wait to see the next episode.

Handi